What is 4-H?
4-H is an informal, practical, learning-by-doing educational program for youth. The purpose of 4-H is to help youth acquire knowledge, develop life skills, and form attitudes that will enable them to become self-directing, productive members of society.
Find a Club that Fits Your Family
We have a variety of clubs that families can check out. We encourage families to visit a few different clubs before deciding on one. You may reach out to the club contact before the meeting or just stop in. Clubs differ in where they meet, when they meet, by the size of the club, by the age group of the youth in the club and various other things. Learn more about our clubs here.
Select a Project that Interests Your Child
Washington County 4-H offers a variety of different projects that youth can select from. A project is a series of learning experiences. First year members should only select one or two projects. When selecting a project there are a few things to consider.
- How is the project organized?
- Some projects, like Shooting Sports, are facilitated at the county level and all youth from Washington County 4-H can participate.
- Some projects, like Foods and Nutrition, are organized at the club level (if your club has an enrolled adult leader who has volunteered to lead the project). Ask your potential club leader what projects their club offers.
- If a project isn’t offered at the county or club level, youth can learn about it independently with support from 4-H resources.
- What is the time commitment?
- Some projects require a larger time commitment than others. For example, the county dog project meets every Monday evening from January – July. While the geocaching project meets four to six times a year.
- Click here to learn more about the projects that are offered at a county level.
The 4-H year begins on October 1, but new members are welcomed and encouraged to join 4-H at any time. Please Note: 4-H Online is being updated, and will open for enrollment the beginning of October.
- Families enroll in Washington County 4-H using 4-H Online. Watch for upcoming information about enrolling for the 2020 — 2021 4-H year!
- There are enrollment deadlines for members that wish to participate in the Washington County Fair as a Washington County 4-H member.
- New members that want to sell livestock (beef, sheep, swine) at the Junior Livestock Auction must enroll by December 1.
- New members who want to exhibit projects must enroll by March 1.
Learn More About Washington County 4-H