Extension Washington County 4-H has curated the following resources for our families who are spending more time at home. You’ll find many fun and educational activities for youth at the links below. We update this page weekly, so check back often!
- Ron Jakubisin, Positive Youth Development Educator for Washington County, offers information and links for Social & Emotional Health Activities for youth during “Safer At Home”
- April 14th WI 4-H Town Hall Meeting with 4-H/Covid-19 related Q & As, the relationship between county fairs and 4-H, and some of the resources 4-H has to offer: https://youtu.be/tIMHuHLFzHU
- For more information from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, visit the COVID-19 update page.
- For health information please visit the CDC.
4-H FAQs Related to COVID-19
Updated June 9, 2020: Wisconsin 4-H FAQs
Engaging 4-H Youth through Virtual Meetings and Learning Opportunities
Technology offers a venue for youth voice and discussion. Below you will find information on how to host and conduct 4-H meetings in a safe and educational way. Take a few minutes to review each link. These will provide best practices for you as a volunteer when meeting with youth.
Wisconsin 4-H uses Zoom for meetings and educational learning opportunities. Remember when participating in a 4-H meeting, whether in person or virtually, the 4-H volunteer expectations and 4-H youth member code of conduct apply.
Below are two YouTube videos created by Wisconsin 4-H Youth Development staff to help volunteers utilize Zoom as a teaching platform.
Zoom 101 Trainings:
UW-Madison Extension created a tutorial on making your own mask at home. You can view it here
Each week, 4‑H shares four new at-home learning resources from 4‑H programs across the country. Check them out here: 4-H At Home
A team of Wisconsin 4-H educators from around the state created the following list of easy-to-access activities and curriculum. To save you time, energy, and unnecessary worry, we:
- Filtered out many activities with hard-to-find supplies and those that needed a lot of adult supervision to be safe.
- Included activities that encouraged some kind of safe social connection and/or involved getting out of the chair and moving.
- Included high quality, inclusive, and accessible resources for all ages, including parents and caregivers.
University of Nebraska’s Cat Club is a self-paced learning opportunity offering information about caring for and showing cats: Cat Club online course
University of Nebraska’s Companion Rabbit Science is a self-paced learning opportunity offering information about caring for rabbits: Companion Rabbit Science online course
Please check out the Wisconsin State 4-H Dog Project Facebook page for some great obedience training videos provided by the Kewaunee dog project. The Wisconsin 4-H Program page also has links to dog project resources. Also, check out the American Kennel Club (AKC) Titles & Programs You Can Do From Home and a Virtual Rally program.
University of Nebraska’s short videos are intended to help youth while practicing with their dogs in preparation for 4-H showmanship: Dog Showmanship Video Series
Join MaryBeth Wohlrabe, Positive Youth Development Educator with Extension Outagamie County, to learn basic camera settings to take better photographs via YouTube: Basic Camera Settings
Sara Novotny, 4-H horse judge, joined Extension for an online presentation and went through some basics of trail that you can work on at home, even if your horse isn’t there with you. See her presentation on YouTube: Sara Novotny: Horse Presentation
This list has been compiled by Bernie O’Rourke, Extension Livestock Specialist in concert with Walter Taylor, Agriscience Teacher, Oconto Falls High School and Alissa Grenawalt, Outreach Specialist:Youth Livestock
Arlington Research Station Swine Unit Virtual Farm hosted by UW Madison Animal Sciences and Division of Extension: Swine Unit Virtual Farm Tour
Arlington Research Station Sheep Unit Virtual Farm hosted by UW Madison Animal Sciences and Division of Extension: Sheep Unit Virtual Farm Tour
Materials for the May 8 Farm Center Farm Tour:
Farm Unit YouTube Recording
Designing Your Own Model Rocket courtesy The Ohio State University Extension
Looking for easy ways to get your kids interested in science? STEM Lab provides fun, hands-on STEM activities for kids of all ages to do at home, in school, and during virtual and in-person clubs: Stem Lab
Stay busy during social distancing with hands-on design engineering challenges from Brown County 4-H! Engineering Fun
Get daily tips on practicing healthy habits Everyday Healthy Habits
Upham Woods shares some great outdoor activities:
- Join the Upham Woods Earth Stories Exchange Facebook Group
- Take part in the 10k Conservation Challenge from you nature-hood! Upham Woods is dedicated to putting 10,000 hours of conservation into the land by the end of 2020. Help them reach that goal by putting meaningful service into your community.
- Get outside and pull some garlic mustard! Watch this video to learn how to identify and properly dispose of garlic mustard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxS6wvfgv0
- Complete this survey to count your service towards the conservation challenge. https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cPepiSpnSDzhPSZ
8 Basic Hand Stitching Techniques Every Sewer Should Learn (with photos): https://sewing.com/hand-sewing-stitching-basics/