Planning AHEAD is a series of 7 sessions for adults of all ages. Participants learn about end-of-life decision making tasks including health care wishes, financial responsibilities, legal requirements and documentation, distribution of personal property, end-of-life care options, and dealing with grief. The program’s goal is to reduce the stress experienced by survivors and to ensure that their wishes are honored. Each attendee received the step-by-step workbook with resources to reinforce the content. Carol continues to work with the state Planning AHEAD Extension team to update the curriculum and review statewide post session evaluation.
Starting in August of 2023, Carol co-facilitated a Planning AHEAD 7-session series in Germantown with Jennifer Fechter, the ADRC Elder Benefits Specialist. Twenty-four adults participated in the series with over 126 educational contacts total. The Planning AHEAD series post-course evaluations (n= 15) indicate:
- 100% of the participants stated they learned enough to move forward with planning.
- 87% agreed or strongly agreed that they have greater knowledge of choices in end-of-life care.•
- 80% of the respondents said that they felt more confident in having conversations with loved ones related to end-of-life wishes and knowing where to find reliable resources for more information on end-of-life planning.
- The majority of respondents, 73%, in the next three months, will update their end-of-life planning forms.
- 67% of participants will make their end-of-life wishes known.
- Participants shared that the workshop was: interesting, informative, thought provoking, motivating and eye-opening. One participant stated: “…encouraging all friends to attend next sessions! Fabulous speakers.”